Murmansk (Му́рманск) is the capital of Murmansk Oblast. It is the first medium-sized city you will need to go to after you start the game, as it is part of the Searching for Truth quest. It is also the biggest city in the region, surrounded by other smaller cities and a river. It is near Kola and Severomorsk. Another town, Murmansk-140, is located along the coast just southeast of Murmansk and can easily be confused with this one, especially for players coming from the south.
Details[edit | edit source]
Murmansk has two parts of the Searching for Truth quest. Its radiation levels are not that high. This city is definitely worth stopping at in any play through, as not only it is necessary for the main quest, but it also has many important beginner items, like gas masks and two broken bicycles.
Buildings[edit | edit source]
Murmansk possesses the following special buildings:
Notable Loot[edit | edit source]
Note that loot is randomly generated for every player.
- The Military Base has an AK-74 cartridge case and a knapsack (good for beginners).
- The Police Department has Makarov handgun cartridge cases and a Broken UAZ-469 off-road car.
- The Garage has a Broken Bicycle, a Crowbar and a Tool Kit.
- The Post Office has The newspaper (Searching for Truth Quest) and a Broken Bicycle.
- The Department Store has Potassium nitrate and Colloidal sulfur.
Vehicles[edit | edit source]
The following vehicles can be found broken on the streets:
- 3 UAZ-452 vans (2 with gas)
- 4 VAZ-2101 cars (3 with gas)
- 1 Ural Motorcycle
- 2 GAZ-24 cars (1 with gas)
- 1 ZIL-130 truck
Real Life[edit | edit source]
Murmansk is north of the Arctic Circle and so in summer it has endless days and in winter it has endless nights.
Murmansk was the last city founded in the Russian Empire. In 1915, World War I needs lead to the construction of the railroad from Petrozavodsk to an ice-free location on the Murman Coast in the Russian Arctic, to which Russia's allies shipped military supplies.