Experience is essential to playing Day R. It is what lets you level up, unlock crafting recipes and perks. When any amount of experience is obtained, it is displayed on the bottom-right corner of the screen.
Experience can be obtained a few different ways:
You can gain experience by defeating enemies. The enemies that were present at the beginning of the battle are the ones taken into account when calculating how much experience a player can gain. For example, if your pet dies in the battle, it will still receive the experience after the battle. In the same way, if the battle starts with 3 wolves and there is a cave with a bear that you could wake up, you will have to defeat 3 wolves and 1 bear but will only get experience for the three initial wolves even though you are going to get a bear carcass at the end of the fight.
Enemies give a fixed amount of experience for each enemy based on their kind. Below is a table with some information about this.
Note that when fighting with Pets, experience from battles alone is divided evenly between you and any pets that were in the fight.
Experience is gained for completing quests. See assorted pages such as Soap Quest. Experience differs depending on the quest.
Experience is also gained by crafting items. Different items give different amounts of experience. With few exceptions, you only gain experience for crafting the last items unlocked. For example: if you are at level 12, you gain experience for crafting Bicycle, Raft, Drying rack, etc. You do not gain these experience points once you reach level 14. Then you would only get experience for crafting level 14 items. As mentioned above, there are exceptions, these being cars. Crafting these at any point after they are unlocked gives you experience. (Motorcycles included).
Direct Experience and boosts can be bought in the shop:
Dusty Books: Edit
You earn 50 Experience points by reading 'Dusty Books'. These take 3 hours to read and cost 25 energy after finishing the book.
Experience can also be earned in a few other ways such as disassembling cars, opening doors (when searching buildings), and completely looting a location.
Levels: crafting recipes Edit
Different crafting recipes are unlocked as you level up. Some, you start off with at level 1. Others, you have to reach level 100 to be able to craft. Note that cooking does not require you to be at a certain level.
Level 1: Edit
Level 3: Edit
- Handmade spear-(?) research points
- Flint axe- 1 research point
- Flint knife- 1 research point
- Flint and steel- 1(?) research point
- Dust mask- 1 research point
Level 5: Edit
- Standard crossbow- 2 research points
- Crossbow bolt- 1 research point
- Makarov handgun- 2 research points
- Activated charcoal- 1 research point
Level 7: Edit
- Handmade needle- 1 research point
- Cloth- 1 research point
- Handmade clothes- 3 research points
- Bone glue- 2 research points
Level 10: Edit
- Bicycle- 3 research points
- Bicycle with cart- 1 research point
- Handmade Raft- 1 research point
- Handmade fishing rod- 1 research point
- Drying Rack- 1 research point
Level 14: Edit
- Handmade Pistol- 3 research points
- Lead bullets- 1 research point
- Gunpowder- 1 research point
- Charcoal pile(burning)-2 research points
Level 18: Edit
- Improved crossbow- 3 research points
- Homemade respirator- 3 research points
- Knapsack- 3 research points
- Detoxifying Potion- 2 research points
- Energizing Potion- 2(?) research points
- Alcohol- 1 research point
Level 22: Edit
- Soap- 2 research points
- Molotov Cocktail- 3 research points
- Fat- 2 research points
- Tin Can Candle- 2 research points
- Smoked Fatback- 1 research point
Level 26: Edit
- PPS-43- 3 research points
- Gunpowder Grenade- 3 research points
- Motorized Cart- 3 research points
- Motorized Raft- 1 research point
- Healing Salve- 2 research points
Levels- perks Edit
Perks are unlocked starting at level 10. Then you get one perk each time you level up. Regular players get a choice of 3 perks and premium players can choose from 5. You can have a maximum of 91 perks.
The levels system replaced the different skills such as Cooking Skill, Sewing skill, Blacksmithing skill, and so on. They were all combined and this resulted in the level system, where experience is universal. It no longer goes to individual skills. All previous skill books (which gave 100 experience points for their respective skill) are know known as 'Dusty Books'.